Burton Pynsent House, Somerset

Burton Pynsent House, Somerset

Project Overview

New build extension and orangery in keeping with the original Grade II listed 18th century house.

A Grade II* country house built in 1756 for William Pitt as a wing of a larger, earlier house that was demolished in 1805. The house that remains was refurbished in 1925.

Download as PDF
Share:

Our masonry, carpentry and joinery, plastering and conservation craftsmen, working under advice from Philip Hughes Associates, have constructed a new kitchen and extensive two storey orangery extension. 

To blend the extension with the original 18th Century house the new building was constructed with handmade bricks, natural Ham Stone dressings and flagstone internal floors. Major internal re-ordering and refurbishments included new purpose made joinery, lime plastering, extensive carpentry works, insulation, new sanitaryware, mechanical and electrical services, foul and surface water drainage, underfloor heating,new electric, water and telephone services and complete internal and external redecoration.

The discovery of basement rooms required an excavation to a depth of 3m to secure foundations for the new kitchen. Hazardous flammable materials were removed throughout the building with minimal disruption.

To find out more please contact us on 01749 342706

Craftsmen in the Conservation of Historic Buildings Get In Touch

Related Projects