Internal high-level repair and redecoration of the church included the reinstatement of the original ceilings and high-level plaster in the Nave, Aisles, Crossings and Transepts. The Sacristy link and outer sacristy were re-ordered with new flooring, radiators and cupboards. A new lighting scheme was installed. Historic painted details were restored.
Further detail of the works included specialist conservation cleaning to remove 1970’s overpainting of original 1800’s decorative paintwork. Specialist conservation painters Perry Lithgow were brought in to uncover the original detailing hidden under 1970’s lime render and to retouch paintwork throughout the church.
Ellis and Co masons repaired to surrounding masonry and repointed joints to the tracery. Badly stained masonry was subject to conservation cleaning. Samples of mortar and stone were approved by the architects before installation and the new Bath stone selected for masonry repairs was hand-tooled and dragged to match the finishing of the existing stonework. A protective sheltercoat was applied to the Bath Stone and defective lime plaster was repaired, replaced as necessary and repainted.
The original ceiling was reinstated and its timber surfaces were repaired and re-varnished. The church floor was relaid. Old red carpeting was removed and the parquet floor repaired. New carpet was laid and tiles to the sanctuary and re-finished floor boards to the Sacristy were finished with oak detailing and trim.
Ellis and Co joiners and carpenters created bespoke oak furniture to replace a range of tired cupboards and washing area.
Mechanical and engineering work included the replacement of main and emergency lighting, installation of and electricity and plumbing and heating to the sacristy including new radiators and creation of a kitchen space.