The Bristol Diocesan Board commissioned Ellis and Co to complete the refurbishment and internal modification of St Nicholas Church. Built in 1769 on the site of an earlier medieval church.
Structural works including removal of a steel framed staircase, installation of a new access ramp, construction of new internal partitions, screens, doorsets, and ceiling works. Asbestos containing materials were removed. M&E packages included electrical works to install electrical cabling, lighting and fire alarms; Plumbing and heating works included installation of new boilers, new gas main, radiators, domestic services and sanitary ware. A new audio visual system was installed to a specialist design which included lighting, video and audio control. A new kitchen and WCs were installed. New flooring was laid throughout and the church was redecorated. The church was transformed from a dated and rather utilitarian office environment into a comfortable modern community space suitable for worship.
The church is home to a large painting - William Hogarth’s 1755 triptych The Sealing of the Tomb. This remained in-situ during the works so protections were applied to keep it safe. The project took place between 30 June and 21 December 2018 under instruction by Malcolm Fryer Architects. Works were completed to ensure that the Church launched in time to celebrate Christmas.